Titanic/Olympic Morgan/Federal Reserve Icebergs/Coal Bunker Fires?

Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”― George Orwell, 1984

It is impossible to be sure what occurred on that cold dark night on April 15 1912, in the middle of the Atlantic and the years leading up to the tragedy and the months of hearings that were conducted after the event. It is important that we do not to make up our minds, decide, be sure, and believe. The fact is we do not know. It is the question that is important not the answer.

Below is the summary of a novel, The Wreck of the Titan, written 14 years before Titanic sank. We tend to believe always in the “coincidence”. The word is unscientific it has no meaning except to say, it happened at the same time, so instead, as an experiment, let’s use the word correspondence. Instead of believing or disbelieving or acquiring ideas, ideas, gathered according to our conditioning, let us watch without any influence. We must clear our heads in order to look dispassionately at the facts. All influence is propaganda. All art is propaganda. Do not believe anything anyone says. We are all liars and you cannot put our faith in anything. Our system teaches us to obey and to conform but seldom to question authority. The first question is what is the probability that a man called Morgan Robertson could predict an exact series of events 14 years before it actually happened that surrounds a man called JP Morgan?

In 1898 Morgan Robertson published a novel telling of the ‘unsinkable’ SS Titan. In his story the SS Titan steamship sailed out of Southampton on its maiden voyage and hit an iceberg on its starboard side and sank in the icy North Atlantic during the month of April. Titan was 70,000 tons and the Titanic 66,000 tons. Titan was 800 feet in length, Titanic 882 feet. Both had three propellers. Both the fictional Titan and the real Titanic were thought of as unsinkable by their owners and therefore had insufficient lifeboats. The Titan, according to the story, had 24 lifeboats for 2,500 passengers and the Titanic had just 20 lifeboats for 2,224 passengers. But did the “unsinkable” label become part of Titanic lore, before or after Titanic sunk? According to Richard Howells, no posters advertising Titanic passages showed that the ship was unsinkable. Did the unsinkable image, become a useful tool, after it sank, in dismissing responsibility for the lack of lifeboats?

In 1902, J.P. Morgan organized a shipping monopoly on Wall Street called the International Mercantile Marine Co. That monopoly or “Shipping Trust” bought up several steamship companies in America and England, and one of the shipping companies that Morgan bought was called the White Star Line. This company under Morgan built Olympic, Titanic and Britannic, 3 sister ships. Construction of Titanic began March 31, 1909. The cost to build Titanic was $7.5 million. In today’s economy, that is equivalent to a cost of $400 million. The 1998 movie Titanic cost $200 million. It was then the most expensive film ever made, and won 11 Oscars. Unlike the 1958 movie, A Night to Remember, the SS Californian was not mentioned.

SS Californian was a Leyland Line steamship that is best known for the controversy surrounding her location during the sinking of Titanic on 15 April 1912. Californian was a British steamship owned by the Leyland Line, also part of J.P. Morgan’s International Mercantile Marine Co.

Californian was a passenger and cargo ship, commanded by Stanley Lord that was westbound en route from Liverpool to Boston, leaving Liverpool April 5th and carrying no passengers. It is rumored that it was carrying sweaters and blankets and life belts. But no cargo manifest is available. At 7:30 pm on April 14, they sent an ice warning to Titanic,

SS Californian had encountered a large ice field so Captain Lord decided to stop the ship and wait until morning to proceed further. At 00:45 on 15 April Second Officer Herbert Stone saw a white flash appear from the direction of the nearby ship. Altogether he saw five rockets. He called down the speaking tube to Captain Lord at 1:15. Lord told Stone to tell him if anything about the ship changed, to keep signaling it with the Morse lamp, but did not request that it be contacted by wireless. Regulations of the time specified rockets (of any color) firing at one-minute intervals would signal distress. Chief Officer George F. Stewart turned off his wireless and went to bed. While the distance between the two ships cannot be ascertained with certainty, they were close enough to be observed visually by one another.

In the morning Stewart turned on the wireless and found out that Titanic had sunk overnight. He took the news to Captain Lord who ordered the ship underway. However, instead of proceeding south through clear water to Titanic’s last reported position, he ordered her to head west and into the ice floe. Lord later explained in a hearing that this convoluted route was due to ice conditions, even though there was clear water between his original position and Titanic’s reported position.

RMS Carpathia (owned by Cunard Line, later merged with White Star) was sailing from New York City to what is now called Croatia on the night of Sunday, 14 April 1912. Among its passengers were Charles H. Marshall, whose three nieces were traveling aboard Titanic. Carpathia ’s wireless operator, Harold Cottam, received a distress signal from Titanic. (Harold Cottam knew Harold Bride, Titanic’s wireless operator.) Cottam awakened Captain Rostron, who immediately set a course at maximum speed to Titanic’s position, approximately 58 miles away. It took Carpathia four hours to reach Titanic, which sank 2 hours before Carpathia arrived, At 4:00 a.m., Carpathia arrived at the scene, after working her way through ice fields, it took on 705 survivors from Titanic’s lifeboats.
JP Morgan attended Titanic’s launching in 1911 and had a personal suite on board with his own private promenade deck and a bath equipped with specially designed cigar holders. He was booked on the maiden voyage but instead remained in France.
Morgan is not the only well-known cancelled passenger of the Titanic.
Another cancellation was Mr. George W. Vanderbilt and his wife Edith. They canceled last minute on April 9. Robert Bacon: J. P. Morgan & Co. Junior Partner also cancelled at the last minute as did J. Horace Harding an officer of J.P. Morgan’s Guarantee Trust Co and a stock investor in the Chicago Great Western Railroad, a railroad that J.P. Morgan bought up and “reorganized” in 1909.

It is interesting to note, that some of Morgan’s biggest enemies were on Titanic. Three of the richest and most important of these were Benjamin Guggenheim, Isador Strauss, the owner of Macy’s Department Stores, and John Jacob Astor, probably the wealthiest man in the world. Their total wealth, at that time, today would be worth nearly eleven billion dollars.

The Federal Reserve:
In 1910, seven men met on Jekyll Island just off the coast of Georgia to plan the Federal Reserve Bank. Nelson Aldrich and Frank Vanderbilt represented the Rockefeller financial empire. Henry Davidson, Charles Norton and Benjamin Strong represented J.P. Morgan. Paul Warburg represented the Rothschild’s banking dynasty of Europe.

The Federal Reserve System was a system that would require every single small-town bank in America to park their reserves with a small and secretive group of bankers from Wall Street who would then “look after” the reserves for the federal government, the same group of Wall Street bankers would have the exclusive right to print paper currency for the United States government, and this bill would also require every single citizen of the United States to pay a personal income tax.

The 16th Amendment, passed by Congress July 2, 1909, ratified February 3, 1913, changed a portion of Article I, Section 9. “The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.”
The 1913 Federal Reserve Act was the most pernicious legislation Congress ever passed – handing the power to create money and control it to bankers, violating The Constitution’s Article 1, Section 8 affording Congress sole authority over the nation’s money supply.
The Fed is Wall Street owned and operated, accountable only to its own self-interest. It has no budget and remains unaudited, leaving its manipulative actions free from public scrutiny.

Roger Foster wrote in 1914″A Treatise on the Federal Income Tax under the Act of 1913″. In it he writes, “It is evidently the intention, as a general rule, to tax only the profit of the taxpayer, not his whole revenue.” So wages and salaries were to be exempt from taxation under the 16th Amendment; investment and dividend income and profits from business were not.

The Federal Reserve is not a governmental agency and neither the Congress nor the President has control over its operations. The Federal Reserve, America’s central bank, is one component of an interlocking, international banking cartel that now controls the wealth of this planet. The ownership of the largest blocks of bank voting stock is in nominee accounts, numbered accounts or trust accounts. There are no names, much like the Bank of England.

The creation of the Federal Reserve had some opposition; those who saw what the future would become if banking control was outside of the government, and the manipulation of the interest rates were set by a private company. JP Morgan knew Astor, Straus, and Guggenheim would use their wealth and influence to oppose a Federal Reserve. These three men were on Titanic.

Was the date of April 15 for tax filing deadlines chosen as a symbolic commemoration of the sinking of not just the Titanic, but the only opponents of the Federal Reserve?

RMS Olympic:
On her fifth voyage on 20 September 1911,the RMS Olympic, also owned by White Star, collided with the British cruiser HMS Hawke off the Isle of Wight. The collision took place as Olympic and Hawke were running parallel to each other. As Olympic turned to starboard, the Hawke’s bow, which had been designed to sink ships by ramming them, collided with Olympic’s starboard side near the stern, tearing two large holes in Olympic’s hull, resulting in the flooding of two of her watertight compartments and a twisted propeller shaft and a bent keel. (The keel is a beam around which the hull of a ship is built. The keel runs in the middle of the ship, from the bow to the stern, and serves as a basic foundation or spine of the structure, providing the major source of structural strength of the hull.) HMS Hawke suffered severe damage to her bow and nearly capsized. Olympic was able to return to Southampton under her own power.

Captain Edward Smith was in command of Olympic at the time of the incident. At the subsequent inquiry the Royal Navy blamed Olympic for the incident, alleging that her large displacement generated a suction that pulled Hawke into her side. A legal argument ensued and decided that the blame for the incident lay with Olympic. The incident was a financial disaster for Olympic’s operator. The White Star Line was faced with large legal bills and the cost of repairing the ship, and keeping her out of revenue service made matters worse. Did the fact that Olympic, was able endure such a serious collision and stay afloat, vindicate the design of the Olympic-class liners? Did this accident create the “unsinkable” image or was the commonly held belief that Titanic was the ‘unsinkable’ ship, an essentially retrospective invention. Did Titanic only really become ‘unsinkable’ after it had in fact sunk?

It took two weeks for the damage to Olympic to be patched up sufficiently to allow her to return to the Harland and Wolff shipping yard in Belfast, where she was built, for permanent repairs, which took just over six weeks to complete. Olympic was maneuvered into dry-dock in Belfast next to Titanic at the fitting-out wharf.

Olympic had damage to her central turbine’s mountings as well as keel damage, which would have cost millions in today’s money. To speed up the repairs, Harland and Wolff delayed Titanic’s completion in order to use her propeller shaft for Olympic, which was damaged. By 29 November she was back in service, however in February 1912, Olympic suffered another setback when she lost a propeller blade on an eastbound voyage from New York, and once again returned to her builder for repairs. To get her back to service as soon as possible, Harland & Wolff again pulled resources from Titanic, delaying her maiden voyage from 20 March 1912 to 10 April 1912.

The two ships were identical, barring the styling of a few windows on the front half of the promenade deck. Were obvious name markings on the Olympic altered or replaced in order that she would then appear to be the brand new and fully functional ‘Titanic’?

Was Olympic, now Titanic then repaired, not to a true seaworthy standard, but to a barely safe level, in order that she could be deliberately sunk in the Atlantic in order to eliminate Morgan’s enemies or facilitate an insurance claim?

Captain Haddock was commander of the White Star Line and Titanic in tests before delivery to White Star. Titanic underwent only about six or seven hours of testing. During this time, the ship’s turning radius and equipment were observed, but Titanic was never even driven at its maximum speed.

The Board of Trade had no safety regulations in place for a ship that size. And according to the board’s 1894 Merchant Shipping Act, the number of lifeboats required onboard a ship was in direct proportion to the ship’s gross tonnage. But the act stopped calculating at a ship of 10,000 tons, which was beholden to carry 16 lifeboats. Titanic, which had about 35,000 tons on that figure, carried 16 lifeboats, plus 4 collapsible lifeboats.

Captain Haddock took command of the Olympic from Captain Edward John Smith on April 1 1912 and Captain Smith took control of Titanic. Captain Haddock was at sea on Olympic when Titanic went down. Captain Haddock testified to the American inquiry and later also attended the Board of Trade inquiry.
Q. Did you have any communication with Titanic prior to the accident on Sunday? – A. Not that I am aware of, sir. …But surely he would remember?

Was Captain Edward Smith who was in command of Olympic at the time of the incident coerced into taking Titanic on its maiden voyage to New York? Was he blamed for the accident while Captain of Olympic?

Bruce Ismay, the managing director of the White Star Line, which owned Titanic, told investigators he was forced by JP Morgan, to instruct the crew to cross the Atlantic at full speed.

Captain Edward J. Smith had served thirty-eight years with the White Star Company. The highest paid captain afloat, Smith had logged two million miles abroad White Star ships. He was almost sixty years old and was scheduled to retire after this final prestigious trip aboard the ultimate in luxury travel. If Captain Smith was experienced in the management of luxury liners, why would he proceed at full steam into an ice flow having been warned that icebergs were present? As Captain of the ship he was in full control of its operation, not Bruce Ismay or JP Morgan.
Was there a fire in the starboard bunker of Titanic in the aft corner of Boiler Room No. 6? Fireman J. Dilley testified before the American inquiry held by Senator Smith of Michigan that he had been among 12 men assigned to fight this coal bunker fire. Steel in the lower corner of the transverse watertight bulkhead between Boiler Room Nos. 5 and 6 became cherry red. It is uncertain how long this fire had burned, but from testimony of surviving stokers at the inquiries, it appears that the fires were burning when Titanic left Southampton. The 12-man crew made every effort to put it out. Those fighting the fire were alarmed at their inability to extinguish the fire, which had the potential to cause serious explosions below decks before it reached New York. Did engineering officers instruct these men not to converse with the passengers so as not to alarm them?
Did most of the engine crew of firemen, greasers, and trimmers who had delivered the ship from Belfast to Southampton not sign on again for the maiden voyage? Had a coal strike just ended on April 6 thereby leaving workers unemployed and stranded with little hope of finding work until the coal inventory was restored? Where did RMS Californian get its coal, since it set sail one day before the coal strike ended and why were there no passengers aboard?

An inquiry into the disaster, presented to British Parliament in the summer of 1912, described the ship as traveling at “high speed” through dangerous ice-filled waters, giving the crew little opportunity to avoid a fatal collision with an iceberg. The inquiry found that Titanic’s speed, of about 22 knots, was “excessive” considering where it was, off the coast of Newfoundland, and that additional look-outs should have been posted on all sides of the liner rather than just in the crow’s nest. It was noted that there were no binoculars anywhere on the ship and that Bruce Ismay, chairman of Titanic’s owner, the White Star Line, persuaded the Captain to continue sailing. For ten minutes, Titanic went ‘Slow Ahead’ through the sea, which added enormously to the pressure of water flooding through the damaged hull. The instruction lead to the sinking of the Titanic many hours earlier than she otherwise would have done by forcing it up and over the watertight bulkheads.
Prior to the sinking of Titanic, it had been forty years since any ship in the North Atlantic had suffered severe damage at the hands of an iceberg. Even then, there had been no loss of life. In 1880, the Guion Line’s Arizona had struck an iceberg head-on in dense fog, but the ship’s collision bulkheads held, and the crew was able to guide the ship to a safe port at St. John’s, Newfoundland
After the disaster, Bruce Ismay was savaged by both the American and the British press for deserting the ship while women and children were still on board. Some papers called him the “Coward of the Titanic”.

Titanic crew survivors included, Fireman J. Dilley, Second Officer Charles Lightoller, Frederick Fleet the lookout who sounded the alarm, Fifth Officer Harold Lowe and the surviving wireless operator Harold Bride There were 73 coal trimmers, and around 20 survived. There were 33 men employed as greasers and four of them survived. The crew is supposed to follow the strict maritime tradition to evacuate women and children first, but some crew members were needed on the lifeboats to ensure their safe launching.

On April 17 the US Senate met. The floor was turned over to Senator Smith, who immediately asked for passage of his resolution which authorized the Committee on Commerce to investigate the disaster. The resolution called for a hearing with witnesses being subpoenaed who could offer information about the disaster. With very little opposition the resolution was carried, and Smith was appointed by the Commerce Committee chairman, Knute Nelson, as chairman of the subcommittee to look into the Titanic disaster.

On Thursday the 18th, the Department of the Navy contacted Senator Smith, advising him that they had intercepted several significant messages sent by J. Bruce Ismay. These telegrams intimated that Ismay was hoping to go directly back to England, along with the crew, without setting foot on American soil. Smith immediately decided to press the issue and arranged a noon meeting at the White House. During the meeting, Smith asked about the legalities of subpoenaing British citizens. Taft, after checking with Attorney-General George Wickersham, said there was no question so long as they were in the United States.

Wanting to take no chances that key witnesses might leave the area and not be open to subpoena the hearings were opened the following morning at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. The first witness called to testify was Mr. Ismay. Over the course of 18 days of inquiry the testimony of 86 witnesses was entered for the record. The inquiry transcript is over 1,000 pages long.

The inquiry in the US was heavily criticized in Britain, both for its conduct and for Senator Smith’s style of questioning, which on one occasion saw him asking Titanic ’s Fifth Officer Harold Lowe what an iceberg was made of.

The American reaction was generally positive. The New York Herald published a supportive editorial commenting: This country intends to find out why so many American lives were wasted by the incompetence of British seamen, and why women and children were sent to their deaths while so may British crew have been saved. However as stated above they were needed to ensure the safe launching of the life boats. It is interesting to note how blame was transferred from White Star to the crew.

In Britain, the inquiry by the British Wreck Commissioner on behalf of the British Board of Trade, was overseen by High Court judge Lord Mersey. The Board of Trade was the very government agency whose antiquated regulations had permitted Titanic to sail without providing enough lifeboats for all passengers. The Board of Trade was first established as a temporary committee of inquiry in the 17th century, also called Lords Commissioners of Trade and Plantations, a temporary committee to investigate the causes of a decline in trade for the consideration of all matters relating to Trade and Foreign Plantations. Lord Mersey and the various counsels, assessors and experts in marine law and shipping architecture, questioned White Star Line officials, government officials, surviving passengers and crew, and those who had aided the rescue efforts. JP Morgan was not present at either inquiry!

The inquiry was held in London from 2 May to 3 July 1912. The hearings took place at the London Scottish Drill Hall, at 58 Buckingham Gate, London.
The location was chosen for its large size, as sizeable audiences were expected, but turned out to have terrible acoustics that made it hard to hear what was going on. The last two days were held at Caxton Hall, Westminster due to the Scottish Drill Hall being booked for.. ..an examination? To assist the inquiry, Titanic’s builders Harland and Wolff provided a 20 foot half-model of the ship showing its starboard side, next to which was mounted a large map showing the North Atlantic shipping lanes and locations of sea ice

The public felt Lord Mersey was biased towards the Board of Trade and the major shipping concerns and cared little about finding out why the ship sank. White Star was not liable for any loss of life, property, or injury. The company’s liability was limited to the total of passenger fares, the amount paid for cargo. The 706 survivors and the families of the 1,517 dead therefore were entitled to only a total of $91,805: $85,212 for passengers, $2,073 for cargo. Claims totaling $16,604,731.63 came from people around the world. The highest percentages of victims were steerage or “third cabin” passengers, who were mainly poor immigrants coming to America.

A few years later Lord Mersey was among those suspected of a cover-up in the sinking of RMS Lusitania. The conclusion of the inquiry which blamed Germany for the tragedy found untrue the allegations that the ship was armed, or carried masked guns, nor was she transporting troops. However the Germans had placed full page newspaper ads in 50 newspapers across the US, warning Americans not to travel aboard Lusitania, which was carrying munitions but masquerading as an ocean liner. The German Embassy in Washington had issued this warning on 22 April 1915. This warning was printed adjacent to an advertisement for Lusitania’s return voyage. British intelligence was also aware that a U-boat was operating in the area but no warning was sent by the Navy. At that time Winston Churchill was first Lord of admiralty. Later Mersey was raised in the peerage from baron to viscount in 1916.

According to the Imperial War Museum’s own history, War At Sea, it states, “conspiracy theorists have flourished, centered on a plot to allow Lusitania to be torpedoed to bring America in to the war. Like so many conspiracy theories based on a fantasy world of ignorance and naivety, this one does not stand up.”

Then which conspiracy theories do stand up?

The failure of Californian to go to the rescue of the sinking Titanic had been disclosed by the American inquiry. Captain Lord’s claims and explanations were contradicted by his officers and he was portrayed by them as an intimidating and tyrannical figure. Lord appeared only as a witness and was not accused of any wrongdoing, but the image created in the mind of the public was of the Californian’s officers standing idly on the bridge, so thoroughly intimidated by their captain that they would rather watch another ship sink than run the risk of facing his wrath.

As the senior surviving officer, Lightoller was a key witness at both the American and British inquiries, he stated, “it was very necessary to keep one’s hand on the whitewash brush” as “I had no desire that blame should be attributed either to the British Board of Trade or the White Star Line”, despite his belief that “one had known, full well, and for many years, the ever-present possibility of just such a disaster. He deftly defended his employer, the White Star Line, despite hints of excessive speed, a lack of binoculars in the crow’s nest, and the plain recklessness of traveling through an ice field on a calm night when all other ships in the vicinity thought it wiser to heave to until morning.

*The Duff Gordons,, attracted the largest crowds of the inquiry. They had traveled under the alias of “Mr. and Mrs. Morgan” and had been accused of misconduct for their actions in leaving Titanic aboard a lifeboat with 40 seats but only 12 passengers. Of the twelve people aboard, seven were crewmen and the remaining five were First Class passengers, Cosmo Duff Gordon his wife,Lucille and her secretary, Mabel Francatelli, and two Americans, Abraham Solomon and C.E. Stengel, and six stokers along with Lookout George Symons who was united with his brother Jack when the Carpathia rescued Titanic survivors. Jack worked amongst the crew of Carpathia.

While on the RMS Carpathia, the Cunard liner that rescued Titanic’s survivors, Cosmo Duff Gordon presented the men from the life boat, with checks drawn on his bank in London. As Titanic sank, Lucile reportedly commented to her secretary: “There is your beautiful nightdress gone.” Fireman Pusey replied that she shouldn’t worry about losing her belongings because she could buy more. Pusey mentioned that the crew had lost all their kit and that their pay stopped from the moment of the sinking. Sir Cosmo responded: “Very well, I will give you a fiver each to start a new kit!” Aboard the rescue ship Carpathia, he did as he promised, presenting each of the seven crewmen in his lifeboat a check for £5.

This action later spawned gossip that the Duff Gordons bribed their boat’s crew not to return to save swimmers out of fear it would be swamped. Fireman Charles Hendrickson claimed he told his boat mates: “It’s up to us to go back and pick up anyone in the water” but found no support. The Duff Gordons, Solomon and Stengel, denied hearing any suggestion to go back, or opposing any proposition to do so.

Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon was a leading fashion designer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, she was the first British-based designer to achieve international acclaim, was a widely acknowledged innovator in couture styles as well as in fashion industry public relations. Apart from originating the “mannequin parade”, a precursor to the modern fashion show, and training the first professional models, she launched liberating slit skirts and low necklines, popularized less restrictive corsets and promoted alluring and pared-down lingerie. Opening branches of her London house, Lucile Ltd, in Paris, New York City, and Chicago, her business became the first global couture brand, dressing a trend-setting clientele of royalty, nobility and stage and film personalities.

The report found that Titanic ’s sinking was solely the result of colliding with the iceberg, not due to any inherent flaws with the ship, and that the collision had been brought about by a dangerously fast speed in icy waters

Although the sinking showed the number of lifeboats insufficient, Titanic was in compliance with maritime safety regulations of the time.

On the fourth expedition to the Titanic wreck in 1984, a specialized low-frequency sonar device was brought with them. This device allowed them to probe through the mud around Titanic’s bow and see the actual damage done to the liner that night so long before. It was revealed that this fatal blow tore open the forward coal bunker of Boiler Room No. 6, past the retaining wall and into the Boiler Room itself, all across the entire length of the compartment, through No. 6’s aft coal bunker, past the watertight bulkhead, and ended between 2 and 5 feet inside Boiler Room No. 5’s forward coal bunker. This wound was by far the longest of all six, being some 45 feet in length. It is interesting to note that this wound was exactly where the coal bunker fires were reported to be smoldering when Titanic left Southampton.

So called “experts” on the disaster do not entertain anything other than the watered down story portrayed in the movie Titanic . Geoff Pattison, a member of the American and British Titanic Societies and lecturer at Northumbria University stated, “The Diana inquiry took 10 years and millions of pounds to decide that it was an accident, and this is how I view the Titanic, I think this is a case of conspiracy after the fact, like the Kennedy assassination. It was just a simple twist of fate.” !!!!

*The Harland and Wolff shipyard was founded in 1862. It was founded by Edward James Harland and Gustav Wilhelm Wolff. On the death of Sir Edward Harland in 1895 Lord Pirrie became its chairman. As well as overseeing the world’s largest shipyard, Pirrie was elected Lord Mayor of Belfast in 1896. In 1908 he was appointed Knight of St Patrick, the Order of St Patrick was used to reward those in high office in Ireland who supported the government of the day regardless of the circumstances.

Lord Pirrie was jeered in the streets after chairing a famous meeting of the Ulster Liberal Association addressed by Winston Churchill. That same year he was to travel aboard the Titanic, but cancelled due to illness. During the war he was a member of the War Office Supply Board, his business associate, JP Morgan Jr brokered a deal that positioned his company as the sole munitions and supplies purchaser during World War I for the British and French governments. The results produced a one percent commission on $3,000,000,000 or $30,000,000 to the company. Morgan was also a banking broker for financing to foreign governments both during and after the war.

If Olympic was so badly damaged and it was not switched to Titanic how was it able to take to the seas and serve for 25 years? In 1915, the Olympic became a troop transport for the British government. During the war she carried 150,000 troops, about 40,000 other passengers, steamed over 180,000 miles, and burned over 345,00 tons of coal. The Olympic was also attacked three times by German U-Boats, and even by an airplane, but survived each time. In one instance, a torpedo actually struck the ship, but failed to explode. In 1918 the Olympic became the only merchant ship to deliberately ram and sink a U-Boat when she sent German submarine U-103 to the bottom of the ocean. Olympic was nicknamed “Old Reliable” by troops who sailed on her during the war. In 24 years of service, Olympic, crossed the Atlantic over 500 times, and steamed over 1.5 million miles.

Of interest:
The Jesuit order was created to monopolize trade, to loan money, and shape the world landscape. The Rothschilds, one of the powerful families who were involved in the setting up of the Federal Reserve were the banking agents for the Jesuits and hold the key to the wealth of the Roman Catholic Church. Francis Browne was an Irish Jesuit priest who sailed on Titanic for the first leg of its journey, from Southampton, England, to Cobh, Ireland, then called Queenstown, where he disembarked. An amateur photographer, he brought with him the only photos of the Titanic at sea that would survive the shipwreck. Was Captain Smith a Jesuit of the short robe a “Jesuit temporal coadjutor”?

The facts described above were presented at the time but were of secondary importance to the attitudes that such episodes were held to represent. It does not really matter what actually took place. The point is that people choose to believe. Myth is not limited to seemingly diverse societies divided from us by both time and space but is equally vibrant and extant in 21st century Western civilization. Pre-literate peoples were just as intellectually sophisticated as we are today. We are, therefore, just as likely as pre-literate peoples to think in terms of myth. Both ancient and modern myths encode abstract thought in concrete form.
Richard Howells

In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
Mark Twain


  • One of the main points missing in the Titanic saga is the Captain E Smith. To be a Captain of a top liner in those days was a very stressful and warring job. Hence the standard retirement age 60. Smith was already 62 old. Smith had be through a very difficult times with the sister ship Olympic. In fact the last 7 months of his life was hell for him. Things were to go wrong on the Olympic from the maiden voyage on. Difficult time in docking her in New York. One tug boat nearly capsized and crashed into the pier with only damage paintwork. Finger point at the rudder not be bigger enough for the ship. She was the worlds biggest ship and untested at this stage. Smith would came under more pressure from White Star in trying to increase speed for the Atlantic crossing turn around time. The start of 5th crossing leaving Southampton was serious accident with HMS Hawke war ship. Punching a big hole in the side of the Olympic ship. This soon turn into a finical disaster for White Star. The repairs very expensive and thee return crossing lost the only income to pay for a ship that was far from been paid off yet! Worse Smith got the blame for the accident with another very expensive high court battle where White Star lost with no insurance claim too! These were very stressful times for Smith at the point he wanted to retired. But his boss Mr Bruce Ismay would not allowed it, as would be a sign of guilt against White Star. As the court had branded Smith as a dangerous and reckless Captain. Smith pride had been serval damaged and shocked of the out come of court hearing. But more pressure was to come when back into services late November 1911. Smith is experience the worst Atlantic crossings in his life. One after another. Rough crossing are very worrying times and the ship has just had a major repair, whither she will hold together or not! The ship was taking one hell of beating and times things did come lose and flying off. But the stress on the crew is huge at the time. Final when you thought nothing else could go wrong disaster struck again on the 24 Feb 1912 in rough weather on second day leaving New York a propeller blade broke! Smith again is in a difficult position to return the ship back to Southampton at reduce speed. The only place to repair the ship propeller is back to Belfast again which brings back memories he would rather forget. Where the Titanic is still there in dry dock and should be finished now? She too is not going well and is months behind schedule and over spent! Pressure is all round for the two ships. Smith is to return the Olympic for his last Atlantic crossing in rough weather again. The return crossing is slow and there is a full blown coal strike on in UK. Coal is a problem for ships now. The Olympic has brought some extra coal for the Titanic first crossing. But Smith is given very short notice that he will be the Captain of the Titanic maiden crossing? At the time Captain Herbert Haddock was in Belfast and regard as first Captain of Titanic. The Titanic still requires more work to compete and is never ever is competed. Captain H Haddock is too given very short notice to return back to Southampton to take command of the Olympic. Poor tired out old Smith has only a day and half to get to Belfast by April 1st for Titanic sea trails. The Titanic sea is delayed by one day 2nd April due to strong winds. As know from Olympic ship she is a difficult ship to dock in turbulent weather. The sea trails were only to last for fours hours to get her sea worthy certificate as require for paying passengers. But there is a problem already with one her coal bunkers on fire. Just another problem for Smith to keep quite about. The Titanic will leave on same day as sea trail for Southampton at 20.00 hours with a rush together raw crew and demoted Officers! At Southampton there are in a state of panic to get ready for her maiden voyage as coal is robbed from other ships and Smith knows the coal bunker fire is not put out, yet has to keep it to himself as another sea worthy certificate is required for the safety of the passenger regulation? Clearly he knows the ship is not full sea worthy for her maiden voyage and could delay the ship for days to put out the fire. How much more pressure does the Captain need? Final the 10th April cast off only to have a very near collision in Southampton dock with the New York Liner! Going to fast as her sister ship Olympic left Southampton 7 days before with the same size hull with no problems! This is a truly stress out Captain and is under more pressure from his boss Mr B Ismay to get Titanic to New York half day early. When you look into Mr B Ismay back ground he too is under huge pressure from his very demanding boss Mr JP Morgan who owns the ship and White Star Lines, but is in a dreadful finical mess with his shipping company International Mercantile Marine Company making huge losses. Where Smith under pressure is persuaded to cut through the ice field and doge icebergs. This is not the standard practice in the pitch dark? But when place under this condition it become difficult to think straight any more. As the rescue was also in complete chaos with half filled lifeboats and given wrong position of the sinking ship? To take over one hour to launch first lifeboat! One hour for first distress rockets! Clearly Smith is past his best and should of retire at 60 as other sea Captains were doing! Do we hear of the pressure and stress of the Captain? It all about the glamour and glory of the worlds biggest ship at the time! One blessing in disguise was the ship was only 53% full. As there was room for a further 1100 passengers! It was bad enough for 1500 lives lost but with a further 1100 on board it not worth thinking about!

    • This is a story, his story, and Titanic has more stories surrounding it than 9/11. If you read the testimonies of the star witnesses you can see that they all lied, and the Senator in charge of the hearings was complicit. It is easy to find out what did not happen, but impossible to be sure what did occur on that night or early morning April 15 1912, but I doubt the ship sank because it hit an iceberg. You may ask, how they got all those people to lie, and my answer is I don’t know, but they did, because you can’t swim around in 30° water, in the dark, climb onto an upside-down collapsible lifeboat and sit there with 30 other people with your feet in the water, soaking wet for hours, with an air temperature of 32°. Everybody knows that but 4 of the star witnesses were on Collapsible B, so they lied, as did Stanley Lord, captain of Californian and Arthur Rostron captain of Carpathia. This is not theory, these are the written testimonies of what occurred according to the people who survived the disaster at the hearings that took place in the Waldorf Astoria, the next day after the rescue ship arrived at pier 54 in New York City. (Please note: you can’t have a hearing without discovery, you must investigate what happened first.) Just read Charles Lightholler’s testimony and Archibald Gracie’s testimony. At one point Lightholler tells the Senator he has Gracie’s card in his pocket, but they were both in the water together, Lightholler’s testimony was on day 1 of the hearings, where the hell would he get Gracie’s card? Would it not be a bit soggy? And of course there were no binoculars on the ship, try leaving Southampton, sailing a 52.000 ton ship down the Solent, and around the Isle of Wight, avoiding running aground on a sand bar called the Brambles, and into the English channel without binoculars. Why would Captain Smith even consider something so reckless? Is that because the 2nd officer David Blair got fired at the last minute and he left with the key to the locker in the crows-nest, containing the only pair of binoculars on a ship that should have had a pair for every officer? Did Frederick Fleet lie when he said there were no binoculars on the ship in order to cover up something even more egregious? There were no sworn testimonies so I guess lying was standard protocol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Make a Reservation

Send us a message with your desired room type, arrival date and number of nights you’d like to reserve, and we’ll contact you in no time.


Recommended by Lonely Planet
Sugar Hill Harlem Inn - Best of BedandBreakfast.com Award winner, 2007-2008

Sugar Hill Harlem Inn, New York City, New York

Image Gallery

harlem-bed-and-breakfast's items Go to Harlem Bed and Breakfast's photostream